Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Poodle Skirts and Polka Dots ~

On one of my recent trips to the antique mall, I spotted (please excuse the pun!) this vintage black and pink-polka dot skirt.


...and attached underneath - the original pink petticoat!
  

I was tempted to buy it - but didn't. I sort of wish I had (not to wear!) but to display in my bedroom, which is turning into a combination shabby chic, sort-of-vintage-style of decorating. Being an aging - make that mature - Baby Boomer, I've noticed (in myself) a recent nostalgic tendency to collect things from the late 1950s - early 1960s. My interest is being further fueled by watching the ABC television hit "Pan Am." So... I did come home with this vintage vanity lipstick tray/mirror. Remember these?


 In the 1950s, women's fashion focused on femininity by emphasizing the "hour-glass" figure with full skirts and a tight waist. On the outside, it looked fun and carefree, but the truth is, women wore girdles and corsets to acheive the look. The corset/bra combinations were given names like Pink Champagne and Romance! Young girls wore polka dots or poodle skirts to hang out at the local diner, go dancing, or on a movie date.


Audrey Hepburn was one of the fashion icons of the 1950s. On November 29th, Kerry Taylor Auctions will hold their "Passion for Fashion" auction in association with Sotheby's in London. One of the items up for sale will be the Edith Head designed, ivory lace dress that Ms. Hepburn wore in the movie, "Roman Holiday."  The same dress was adapted and worn by Audrey Hepburn when she accepted her Oscar in 1954 for the same film.   


Also up for sale at the auction, will be items that belonged to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Diana.  To read more about this fabulous event, click HERE.


Unfortunately, I won't be flying off to London to attend the auction,
so, until next time, have a great day!

29 comments:

Linda said...

OH how I remember all those things of the past...my grandma and Mom both had gold mirrored trays full of bottles of perfume...thanks for the walk down memory lane!!

Roberto Machado Alves said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I liked your blog, it is very interesting.

Roberto, Rio de Janeiro

smalltownme said...

Pretty things!

Brenda said...

I think the 50's styles were the most beautiful in history. I loved the Christian Dior designs. Let's see some pictures of your bedroom.

Ellen Whyte said...

Love that style, but I'd drop the belt from that first outfit.

Karen said...

Ohhh, I so remember the lipstick trays, and the petticoats, (we called them crinolines). Yep, I am a baby boomer too.

Cottage and Broome said...

Love the lipstick holder! My Mom had those and I've also been on the hunt for some, I would have snap those up too. Being a Boomer also, we seem to be seeking out things from our youth. Laura - Cottage and Broome

Cindy Adkins said...

Was Audrey Hepburn gorgeous or what? I love those pics of her and the goodies you saw at the antique mall!
XO
Cindy
P.S. My mom still has a tray like that on her vanity! lol

Unknown said...

I have my Gram's mirror vanity tray and I LOVE it. Reminds me of her! ~Alicia♥

Hope said...

Audrey is my favorite actress ever. Such class and beauty.

GwendolynKay said...

Hello and thank you for the visit. Your blog is lovely , I am now a follower and will be back !:)
Blessings~

Karen said...

Oh boy I feel really old. I remember wearing a pink poodle skirt as a child and I loved my twin sweater sets.That skirt is adorable and I'm searching for one of those trays. It seems like they're a hot commodity in my parts, they want way more than I'm willing to pay. Thanks for visiting and following... following you as well.

Unknown said...

Such a lovely post, I'm from the sixties but boy, I do love the fifties, too! Thanks for visiting my blog and your comment, I so appreciate this. Greetz from the Netherlands, Ira

Susie Jefferson said...

I've never seen a vanity tray/lipstick holder thingie before - what a great idea! I want one now! And I love the skirts - especially the one with a poodle on the front, great fun.

Happy Pink Saturday from the UK!

Jenny said...

So wish I could go!! What an amazing auction!!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

ohhhh I couldn't have passed up that skirt ! I remember my older cousins wearing them ... and the prom gowns oh my ! frilly full goodness !!!

Tricia said...

Beautiful dresses! I love Audrey Hepburn - she was so beautiful and so glamorous!
Happy Pink Sat.

Blessings,
Tricia

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Pink Saturday Cindy Sweetie...
What a gorgeous share today. I love the Pan Am series as well. I can remember SO wanting one of those little bags to carry. I remember when they gave them out to some fliers. What fun.

Love the polka dot share most of all. Now if I just had a figure to pull it off. Isn't that just the cutest dress ever? LOVE it.

Have a beautiful weekend. Love your finds. Can't believe you passed up the skirt with the original can can underneath. What fun was that one.

Country hugs and much love, Sherry

Chubskulit Rose said...

Simply beautiful!

My Pink, have a nice weekend!

1CardCreator said...

Love them all! Happy Pink Saturday! ~Diane

pinkkandy said...

HAPPY PINK SATURDAY!!!!!!!
Thankful for a warm house and cups of coffee...children running and laughing through this house..pray you are having a good day!

Ineke Original said...

Fantastic! Just love this!
Happy Pink Saturday greetings from Holland,
Ineke

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi Cindy!

How are you? I just loved what you have shared for Pink Saturday! :) I quite adore Audrey Hepburn - such an icon in so many ways!!! Those poodle skirts are so cute!

Anyway, thank you for sharing!


Hugs,
Jessie

Jeanne said...

Since I was a teen in the 1950's I love your post today. I so remember wearing these fashions. Tons of fun in the 1950's. Life was so simpler then.
Happy Pink Sat.
Hugs, Jeanne

Pam said...

Love the lipstick tray. Think my sister and I had one in the 60's (we shared a bedroom in those days). My aunt had the poodle skirt. Thanks for the memories.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Nostalgia is setting in looking at the poodle skirts, waist cincers and saddle shoes, Cindy...lovely presentation. Reminiscing here.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! Someday when I have a waist, I'd love to make myself a '50s style dress! :)

I would like to invite you to participate in my weekend linkup. It involves anything related to homemaking: recipes, sewing, decorating, crafts, DIY, a story about what you did today, etc! There’s a button at the top of my sidebar you can grab to help you to remember to come back each week. Just go to Thursday’s post titled, “Vintage Pilgrim Print & Homemaking Link-Up Weekend” for this week’s link up!

HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
Sarah

Red Rose Alley said...

I remember those vintage lipstick holders!! I just love your pink posts. And I'm a polka dot girl too.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Unknown said...

I love it all. I picked up a pattern so I can make myself a 50s poodle skirt for Halloween next year. Audrey Hepburn is my favorite actress. Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs, LisaKay Belles Roses Romantiques

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...